Charlotte was raised and grew up in Bristol, going to school in the constituency, and lives in Westbury-on-Trym and her father has worked as a doctor at Southmead Hospital and the BRI for over thirty years. Charlotte has worked for the National Autistic Society, helping with their Autism Bill. She is the former editor of the Bow Group magazine ‘Crossbow’, and has written for a number of publications, including The Guardian’s candidate blog, Prospect Magazine, The Specator, The Daily Mail blog, for the Daily Telegraph and The Times.
Charlotte has a range of career experience – from charity work to politics, televison and sports coaching. She has previously done work for The Scouts and as Education Associate with The Young Foundation. Before getting selected for Bristol North West, she was Special Adviser to then Shadow Education Secretary, David Willetts.
In 2005, she co-authored the report ‘More Good School Places’ for the think-tank Policy Exchange, which first suggested the Government’s policy of ‘The Pupil Premium’, and has worked with The Centre for Social Justice. Previously, Charlotte worked in television production at the BBC on shows such as ‘The Weakest Link’ and ‘The Holiday Programme’. She has also worked as a qualified swimming teacher, sports-co-ordinator, children’s tutor, and was employed for several years as a surf life-guard on the North Cornwall coastline, working closely with the emergency services.
Her political interest started as a local parish councillor in Almondsbury, near Bristol. She studied classics at Balliol College, Oxford and her interests include surfing, surf-life-saving, writing, art, Bob Dylan, running and swimming. She used to swim competitively, representing City of Bristol, and made the age-group national finals in 200m and 100m backstroke. She also enjoys boxing training.
Charlotte in Westminster
Charlotte holds several positions in her work in Parliament, which she connects with her local work in Bristol. Charlotte is:
- Member of the Health Select Committee – a cross-party group of MPs holding Government to account
- (Former) Member of the Education Select Committee
- Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Boxing
- Vice-Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Beer and is actively campaigning to keep our local pubs alive, including the Lamplighters in Shirehampton
- Treasurer – The All Party Parliamentary Group on Autism following her work on Special Educational Needs policy and her work with the National Autistic Society
- Secretary – The All Party Parliamentary Group on Sport
- Vice-Chair – of the All Party Parliamentary Group on National Citizen Service and Volunteering
- Member of the ‘Fresh Start’ Group – forging renegotiation terms on Europe prior to a 2017 Referendum on EU membership